Thursday 1 May 2008

In Response To Taxi Driver

Sifting through my peers work on these blogs I stumbled across a response to Martin Scorseses seminal 1976 film 'Taxi Driver'. The author of the blog can be found at this site http://wildonwilde.blogspot.com/2008/04/bad-cinema-taxi-driver.html

Although appreciating the fact the author idenitifed the film as being associated to the range of bad cinema and respecting the writers personal opinion, I feel the response was unjust in disregarding the films artistic merit and critique on society as I qoute the author claims,

'i think this was one of the most pointless films i have ever watched. i ask what was the point of the film? It is everything it says it is. Bad Cinema in every essence. "

To call the film pointless I feel is unfair. Aesthetically, yes is it flawed and moreso the politics are rudimentary however the films content can only be deemed 'bad' in what the point of the film is attempting to convey.

Choosing to ignore my personal bias in that I consider Martin Scorsese an artist amidst entertainers, I think the author misunderstood the film. The film focuses upon a vietnam veteran whose return home draws comparisons between the conflict in the war and the conflict on the streets. Scathingly the picture also questions the states negligence in dealing with the matters. Yes the film paints him out as a hero after a murderous spree, but I think I would also hail Mr Bickle a hero after ridding the world of a few less exploitative pimps. Wouldn't you?

No comments: