Tuesday 22 April 2008

Blasphemy?!? Offensive?!?


Mass religous insitituions are incredibly complex time old cornsertsones of the comminuty, or maybe not so much anymore. Religion has always bothered me as I have never fully understood where exactly my loyalty lies if you will. Do I, or don't I believe in God. Either way I do agree the importance in the social function for an artefact like The Holy Bible, Torah etc. However when these unintentionally conflicting pieces of prose spark fundamentalist relgiious conflict this is where my patience grows fine.


On a site I found related to atheism features a quote from George Herbert Walker Bush which frustrates me, it reads


"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God. "



Surely, the declaration of Independance and Americas ideolology inbringing liberty and justice to all, is thrown out of the window with this, right?


Is it blasphemous in purely being an atheist? Does the very idea that someone may not share the same beliefs as there more spiritual counterpart offend people to the point they can be classified blasphemers? Surely does this not infringe the political ideal which promotes freedom of speech? In seeking what I consider to be the only reasonable answer this site http://www.caslon.com.au/blasphemyprofile5.htm reads


"I'm really sympathetic to the freedom of speech argument. But blasphemy is not a matter of free speech, it's people going out of their way to offend almighty God."


The speaker of this obviously shares my very same opinion, the right to openly debate and discuss the existence and nature of God should be praised anc celebrated. However the ignorance in meerly offended believers should be shunned by society regardless of the false notion that we live in a society with freedom of speech.

No comments: