Wednesday 23 April 2008

Tattoos?!?? What's the big deal?


As a self-confessed bearer of being inked and likely to be inked at least once more in my life, I too can claim to have jumped on the 'must get a tattoo before I die' bandwagon. I don't regret what I have and still adhere to finding the words "its with you for life" from non-tattooed people most patronising however what I do wish is that I had a reason for wanting to get one before I made the leap. I am often asked what my tattoos symbolise or mean and I struggle to answer, largely because there is no answer.


Important to the culture of tattoo's I feel is based deep in their origins. Tribal and historically tattoos can be considered a very important aspect in creating a social identity. Although I do feel this discipline has been much lost now in an age where you can get Robbie Williams face tattooed on your bum.


I also have problems with those who wish to do nothing other than cover there body with tattoos, a love and passion for the inking they may share I feel doesn't outweigh the obvious lack of spiritual and personal meaning the tattoos represent. For instance, my picture above y'know the guy with area 51 for a back. Joking aside is it for us to guess that this great spiritual declaration of his character is simply he likes aliens and space?
As a word of advice to those who are considering getting inked I encourage active thinking in what your getting and more crucially, why? Like sex, one need not necessarily jump straight into it.

No comments: